Friday, November 13, 2009

Diagnosed by my Mum...

Since I arrived in Wales 2 months ago, I have had a lot of trouble focusing, working, and sleeping. My mind is going a million miles an hour about this that and the other, and everything in between. At first I thought I was just tired, but things didn't change even when I worked hard at getting enough sleep. I went to the Doctor, who annoyingly told me I was anxious so I couldn't sleep, and tired so I couldn't focus. She prescribed me sleeping tablets, and said if that didn't fix everything then to come back and she would put me on anti-depressants. Even though I wasn't depressed, she was convinced I was anxious about something.

Not impressed - I'm not anxious! I just can't stop thinking! I'm thinking about all these new and exciting things that are happening in my life, and are going to be happening in the future! Then Mum pointed out something really obvious. I am super excited. Overexcited even. As in the hyperactive type child kind. At 23, that's me :D ... I'm currently working with more exercise, healthy diet, check lists, chamomile/peppermint/licorice root sleeping tea, relaxing hot showers, light reading, calming music, and relaxation tracks before bed. 70% of the time it works, the other 30% I am up til 3am tossing and turning. But 70% is an improvement yes?! Still struggling a bit during the day, but hey, lets just hope I grow out of it!

Today, as I was walking along the beach looking at some terrace houses and thinking "Wow! Look! I'm in Wales! Look! Those are British houses! I'm here, in Wales! Look! Wow!" (I'm not kidding, 2 months in and I am still that buzzy about just being here), it occurred to me that I should have seen this coming. I have always been fairly overwhelmed by the fact that human beings even exist, that I am even alive, so of course moving 20,000kms away from home and starting a new life was going to send my thoughts into overdrive. We can clearly conclude I think waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. If anyone knows how to slow my brain down so it can actually focus on something please let me know! In the mean time, here's a picture I think depicts me fairly well...

No comments: