Monday, June 9, 2008

Stupid Boy telling me I can't do what I want to do

After 2 and a half years of studying Engineering, I have come face to face with my first significant sexist encounter. This stupid boy told me....


1) I can't be an Engineer because I am doing a Bachelor of Science, even though I am going to do Honours, and then a PhD. So basically I will be the man. And I will be applying for ENGINEERING jobs. And the jobs I have already had have had the title "Engineering Student". But apparently I can't be an engineer.

2) I will never make it to a top management position within Engineering, because I am a woman. I can see where this opinion comes from, as women have the disadvantage of having a uterus, so even if they choose to put their kids into daycare at a young age, they still have to take off about 3 months per child. As I want many kids (read 4 or 5), and seeing as I am a fan of working on the mother-child bond, I think I will have to take 10 years or so out of my career - and this is quite a large chunk.


BUT I WILL FREAKEN MAKE IT TO THE TOP BECAUSE I AM GOING TO BE THE BEST.


So.... I am pretty mad about that, but at the same time happy that these issues have been brought up now, and in this way, so that I can quietly deal with it, so that when they come up when I am out in industry, I am more prepared. I hope. All is not lost - I have learned from today :D

2 comments:

Miss Awesome said...

you will be an engineer. Or maybe just an engine.

P.S can you change my link to my new blog (am deleting the old one)

Soap Operas and Super Heroes...

Nikki Elisabeth said...

You will totally be an engineer.

Boys like that can feck the feck off.

P.S. I got very drunk a couple of weeks back at an engineering kid party and there were lots of female engineers there so there silly man!