Sunday, June 8, 2008

Suddenly, Luke was Gone.

Hey everyone.
Today is a sad day. This morning at 5:50am, I stood inside Auckland Airport, and said goodbye to one of my two best friends, Luke. He is now staying with his parents, just out of the Gold Coast in Australia. In a few weeks he will move to Brisbane, where he will be living for the rest of the year at least. And then.... US. Me? I'm in NZ until mid-February next year, when I move to Melbourne. So although I want him to go where the wind takes him, I really hope that our paths cross again - MSN conversations are just not the same as the spontaneous discussions that pop up when you are hanging with someone in the real life. Luke has been staying at my flat for the last 3-4 days, and I have really been reminded of why we are best mates. He is an amazing person, and just blatently brings such a different perspective on things. We have been mates for 8 years now, and our friendship has gotten to the point where we can have these incredibly interesting, intellectual conversations, and actually disagree. Disagree! On huge world issues! And that's okay! We allow each other to have opinions, and this means we learn so much more, because we are open to the other persons reasonings.
Like with anyone close that moves away, I will miss hanging out with Luke, but we have lived more than an hour away from each other for the past 5-6 years, so I'm kind of used to it I guess. But losing the opportunites to have those thought-provoking conversations? That's really sad.
So, all I can do is keep in touch, and hope whatever paths in life we choose, cross along the way.

No comments: