Tuesday, March 3, 2009

who are these people?

Who are these randoms signing my guest book? "arhiderrr"? Ah... Hi Dere? Yes? No?


Anyway, just thought I would update you on what's going on for me at the moment. So I've been in Wellington for 2 months now, and I am still unemployed. I have applied for every job under the sun that I think I could possibly not hate, using a variety of websites, newspapers, word-of-mouth and door-knocking methods. This recession SUCKS. There are zero jobs out there that my engineering degree is going to help me with, and apparently "a year and a bit" of Admin/Receptionist experience just doesn't cut it for an interview these days. And if you don't have your bar license or bar experience, how could you ever learn to work behind a bar?
...



So yesterday I jumped in my brothers '67 Cortina and we drove up to Rotorua with his fiancee, Juliet. The car was a little less than practical, with the following comments coming out of Gareth's mouth throughout the 7 hour drive...
( some of these may be slightly variated on what he actually said... )


- We can't have the front windows down over about 40 kmph because there's nothing holding the other windows in, and the pressure will cause them to fall out.
- That twangy noise is just the brake pedal.
- There's no seat belts in the back, but the fire extinguisher is just by your feet Claire.
- I don't actually know how fast we are going, because the speedo is really wrong. And it's in miles per hour so you have to convert it after that anyway.
- How many revs are we doing? I don't know, the rev meter doesn't work.
- What's that noise?
- Can you keep an eye on this oil gauge here? It can't go below 25. Although it does move a lot so only tell me if it stays there.
- We should probably get gas. I have no idea how much we have, the gauge doesn't work.
- I hope it doesn't start raining because this car leaks a whoooole lot.
- Turn the music down for a second, I need to listen to the weird noise the motor is making.
- I'm just going to pull over and advance the motor (some mechanic speak).
- You should probably learn how to use that fire extinguisher Claire.
- I need to turn the music up really loud because there's only speakers in the back and we can't hear it over the car noises. (this is how I got to enjoy extreme gangsta being blasted into my ears)
- Why is the motor ticking?


Then when it got dark...
- You can't really see much without the lights on full.
- Can you pass me my cellphone? I need to use it to periodically check the oil, fuel and speed because there are no dash lights.
- Did you guys hear that? Did you feel it or just hear it?
- Oh yeah, Claire, that seat is really bouncy. (I responded something about being on a trampoline)


Then when Juliet started driving...
- Jute, you can't use full lock to U-turn. Don't go anywhere near full lock.
- Every now and then, pull the steering wheel towards yourself, especially before you try to turn a corner. You don't have to hold it there, just pull it once.

When we finally made it to Rotorua, I got blinded by an exceptionally bright blue alarm light. Seriously, it illuminates me when I am standing halfway down the driveway.

And that's their wedding car! Hopefully it will be a bit more user friendly by then. All said, I did enjoy the ride up and it is an extremely cool car. I am sensing a bit of overuse of the word extreme at this point. Extreme.



So! I am now in Rotorua, where I will spend my days organising for the wedding and painting my parents rental house, and then the wedding is on Saturday, then I will (somehow) head back to Wellington where I THINK I have a job at The Realm Bar and Restaurant??? Not Sure. I hope so, I did a trial shift the other day and quite enjoyed it. That would be fabulous.



And Yes, I still have mached up toes from Wellington's pavements.

2 comments:

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Just almost died with laughter at those comments and may have forwarded them around my workmates.

Fuuuuuck. hahahahaha

I'm meant to be working and it's all too obvious that I'm not!

Lukifer Aurelius said...

hahaha crack up