Thursday, March 27, 2008

I went WOOL SHOPPING

Hey! Today I treated myself to checking out the Knitting Warehouse in Hamilton. (geeky treat, I know) It was totally awesome! The lady in there helped me out, explained a few things to me, and I walked out with wool to finish my scarf, wool to make my fingerless gloves, needles to make the gloves, a crochet hook, plus the offer to go back if i ever needed help with my work! My mother had told me a certain project would cost lots and lots of money to buy the wool for, but if I make it acrylic I can get it for $36 from that shop! I am SO excited!

About my scarf.... it is SO ugly. It started out as a project to use up some wool i had lying arund with no name on it, and to learn/practise how to knit/purl. Well, i've done that, and now I am left with a scarf that begins nicely (two small holes where I curiously missed stitches), and then goes into this hideous knobbly wool stuff - and the scarf gets wider! MUCH wider! even though I checked, and I'm using the right needles and the right wool - I'm guessing the tension is different... Anyway, then I ran out of that stuff too, and my scarf is only half the length it should be. So I go to the Knitting Warehouse, and the only knobbly stuff they had was this creamy-yellow stuff, so that's what I am doing the 3rd quarter of the scarf in, then plain creamy yellow wool to finish off. So, basically, grey/blue to cream/yellow, with the middle portion being soft and knobbly to wind around your neck. Fan bloody tastic. EXCEPT for the width!! to my great disgust, when I added on the yellow knobbly stuff, it got wider still!! What is the world coming to?? So I added a few stitchs together, and it seems to be undercontrol.

I am seriously contemplating sewing this scarf into the middle of a blanket. Stupid ugly thing.

No comments: